Jones-Harrison Furniture was founded by Charles Jones and James Harrison in 1946. The two men served in WWII in the U.S. Army Air Corp and were friends prior to the war working at the same grocery store and boarding at the same rooming house.
After WWII they returned to Dothan, AL and worked in a furniture store. They decided to start their own business and Charles persuaded a relative to loan them $1000.00 each. With the money they purchased two used pickup trucks and began searching for the ideal location. They settled on Griffin, GA and moved their families to the Griffin/ Spalding County area.
The men immediately began peddling furniture off the back of the trucks traveling the dirt roads of Spalding and the surrounding counties. Eventually the men were able to rent the old Noel building on Experiment Street where they stayed until 1948. The business then moved to West Broad Street where it remained for the next twenty-two years.
In June, 1970 Jones-Harrison Furniture moved to its current location at 421 West Solomon Street, Griffin, GA. In 1976 James retired and Charles purchased his share of the business. Charles continued to operate the store until his death in January, 2007. Today Charles’ family owns and manages the business.